Daily Recipe: Almond Crusted Tilapia with a Beet, Goat Cheese and Arugula Salad
The best kind of meal plans are the ones that leave your family and friends impressed. You want to leave them preferring your cooking over a restaurant.
What makes it even better is if the recipe requires simple ingredients and not a lot of time to prepare.
We’ve got one of those meal plans for you.
The tilapia, when cooked correctly, has a buttery texture and taste. Adding the crunch of the almonds makes the fish stand out from other seafood recipes. The salad not only makes this a complete meal, but pairs nicely with the simple flavors of the fish.
Go ahead, impress your friends and family.
We’d recommend making the salad first, as it can sit in the fridge while you prepare the seafood. The best way to serve this dish is right after it’s cooked- preserving the flavor of the fish and the crunch of the almonds.
Beet, Goat Cheese and Arugula Salad
Adapted from the Food Network
- 1/2 lbs persian limes from G &S groves ($1.00 for 1/2 lbs)
- 3 tbs german red garlic from Tecolote Farm (1 head of garlic $1.10)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (5 tbsp for $1.00)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 medium beets from JBG ($3.50 a bunch)
- 6 cups arugula from Tecolote Farm ($6.00 for 1/2 lbs)
- 1/2 cup walnuts ($2.75 for 1/4 lbs)
- 1/4 cup dried cherries ($1.26 for 1/4 cup)
- 3 oz goat cheese from Pure Luck Farm and Dairy ($3.50 for 3 oz)
Almond Crusted Tilapia
Adapted from Southern Living
- 1 cup almonds ($5.04 for 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup flour ($.26 for 1/4 cup)
- 4 Quality Seafood tilapia fillets ($11.50 a pound)
- 2 tbs butter ($6.00 for lbs of butter, $.41 for 2 tbs)
- 2 tbs olive oil ($.40 for 2 tbsp)
Process 1/2 cup almonds in a food processor until finely chopped, and combine with 1/4 cup flour in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle the fish evenly with salt and dredge in the almond mixture.
Melt butter with olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the fish, and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove the fillets to a serving plate.
Add remaining 1/2 cup almonds to skillet to cook, stirring often for about 1 minute, until golden. Remove almonds with a slotted spoon, and sprinkle over fish.
Estimated total for recipe in.gredients: $37.72
Cost per person for a family of four: $9.43
Subscribe to comments with RSS.