Daily Recipe: Fettuccine Alfredo with Kale, Zucchini and Italian Pork Sausage
Some days you need a hearty meal. One that sticks to the ribs and leaves you full for hours.
The kind of dish that has the family licking the plate clean.
A big dish of creamy pasta will hit that hearty-meal-craving. Using local vegetables from the store, you can add a healthy spin on the traditional fettuccine alfredo.
We priced it out for you so you can come to the store knowing exactly what (and how much) you will need of each ingredient.
Fettuccine Alfredo with Kale, Zucchini and Italian Pork Sausage
Adapted from Eating Well
- 2 cups Mill King whole milk ($3.75 for 1/2 gallon, $.47 for 2 cups)
- 8 cloves german red garlic from Tecolote farms ($1.10 per head)
- 2 tbsp Nancy’s cultured cream cheese ($2.80 for 8 oz, $.35 for 2 tbsp)
- 3/4 cup parmesan sarvecchio cheese ($6.25 for 1/4 lbs, about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($.02 for 1/2 tsp)
- Pepper to taste ($.14 for 1 tsp)
- 1 lbs tri colored fettuccine from Gourmet Texas Pasta ($5.50 a lbs)
- 1 tbsp olive oil from Napa Valley Naturals($.20 for 1 tbsp)
- 1/2 lbs Italian pork sausage from Burgundy Pasture Beef ($9.00 a lbs, $4.50 for 1/2 lbs)
- 1/2 lbs zucchini from Perdernales Valley Farms($1.25 for 1/2 lbs)
- 1/2 a bunch of JBG’s curly leaf kale ($3.00 a bunch, $1.50 per half bunch)
Total for recipe in.gredients: $23.73
Cost per person for a family of four: $5.93
you will have some extra milk, cream cheese, pork sausage and kale. All great ingredients you can use for another meal.
Boil a large pot of water
Chop zucchini and wash, remove stems and chop kale.
Combine milk and garlic in a heavy medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer gently until the garlic is tender and the milk has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 15-25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Puree milk and garlic in a blender until smooth (or use an immersion blender.) Return to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Keep the sauce warm.
Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine until tender, 8-10 minutes and transfer to a warmed large bowl.
Heat olive oil over medium high heat and cook crumbled pork sausage. Once pork sausage is almost down, add in chopped zucchini. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, adding the kale in last. You will want to only cook the kale for only a couple of minutes, so make this the last step of the meal.
Whisk cream sauce and 1/2 cup parmesan into the sauce. Add the fettuccine, sausage and vegetables. Toss and serve immediately. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan over the dish once served.