Central Texas Wildfires: How to Help
In the last week, over 1,000 homes in the Austin area have been razed by wildfires. Some of these fires continue to burn, and many Austin area residents have been forced to evacuate. High winds and low humidity continue to increase the chances that wildfires will start and spread quickly, local officials have insisted.
We’re doing what we can to help our neighbors who’ve been impacted by the blazes. Here’s how you can help:
Visit The Red Cross of Central Texas’ website – it has more information on how to donate to victims.
To help in general
Call Red Cross to volunteer at +1 512 928 4271.
Evacuated pets: Austin Humane Society
AHS is providing shelter for evacuated house pets. For more info (and to donate), click here.
Evacuated pets: Austin Pets Alive!
Austin Pets Alive! is also providing shelter for evacuated pets, and waiving all adoption fees for anyone wanting to adopt pets who were waiting for adoption before the influx of evacuees. For more info, click here.
DONATE GOODS (via KXAN)
- 3434 Yogi Berra Way in Round Rock by the Dell Diamond. You can also call 512-740-6096
- @ACFellowship is staging for volunteer cleanup. Please bring large trash bags, work gloves, bottled water, nonperishable snacks and toiletries.
- Georgetown helps Bastrop victims Facebook page is offering a house drop-off site for clothing, shoes, toiletries, diapers, towels, etc. They are not taking food items.
- Distribution Center for Victims of Bastrop County fires Facebook page has been set up to take towels, washcloths and toiletry items, which said they need immediately.
- Hill Country Bible Church NW is taking donations from 8am-8pm today. Bottled water, gatorade, eye drops, nasal spray, hand wipes and individually packaged snacks like peanut butter crackers, power bars, protein bars, etc. Address is: 12124 Ranch Road 620 North, Austin, TX. They are the hub and distributing supplies to the area fires. Questions? 512-331-5050.
- Llano Cub Scout Pack 301 will be on the square tomorrow from 4-6 collecting donations for fire victims and firefighters in the Spicewood area. Items needed are trash bags, work gloves, non perishable snacks, (granola bars and such), diapers, baby food, cat/dog food, and water bottles. Oats, alfalfa for the livestock. Thanks for your help!
- Gilda Grace Collections is taking donations of ANY kind, 1818 West 35th St.
- Rondell Business Park in Bastrop. Call 512-322-8661 for more information.
LATEST NEWS HERE
To stay updated on Twitter
Use the hashtags #txfire, #txwildfire, or #centraltxfires.
(image via: KVUE)