Eco Lunch Box
About ECO Lunchboxes
What’s for lunch? You hope it’s not toxic lead, plastic and vinyl. And whatever delicious, nutritious food you’ve packed should fill up your tummy – not the garbage can, too.
Yet so often these days we can’t be sure our lunchboxes are non-toxic and waste-free.
There are surprisingly few options to the standard vinyl, insulated lunchboxes that are so widely and cheaply available through big-box retailers.
And when it comes to filling our lunchboxes with food for school or the office, we reflexively turn to the usual plastic containers and throw-aways, such as plastic baggies, plastic tub containers, juice boxes, questionably safe plastic drinking bottles and pre-packaged supermarket snacks, like yogurts, chips and crackers.
Some reusable lunchbox options, such as stainless steel food containers and coated aluminum water bottles and plastic bento-box-style lunchboxes, have entered the market in recent years. But cobbling together a no-garbage lunchbox solution that avoids the health risks of vinyl, plastic, lead and aluminum is a daunting challenge in today’s marketplace.
Our ECOlunchbox Kit is a sensible, back-to-the-basics reaction to the potential health risks associated with standard lunchboxes as well as the shocking amount of waste created by the packaging in typical U.S. lunchboxes.
Location: Lafayette, CA
Distance from in.gredients: Roughly 1,750 miles
Delivery to in.gredients: Ground shipping
3-in-1 Rectangle ECO Lunchbox: Say goodbye to plastic baggies and other leachy plastic food containers. This nifty food container is great for packing a child’s lunch, which typically contains three items: a sandwich and two side dishes.
• A 3-piece set, including two stacking layers and a little nesting box.
• When closed, the lunchbox measures 4 inches wide, 5 1/2 inches long and 2 3/4 inches high. The bottom layer is 1 inch deep and fits a whole sandwich on sliced bread. The top layer is 1 1/2 inches deep and fits cut fruit, dry snacks, pasta or salad.
• The small inner box, which contains 1/2 cup of wet foods, is good for applesauce, cut fruit and salads, but its pressure fitting stainless steel lid is not 100% leak-proof because no plastic is used.
• Independently lab tested as lead free, food-safe, high-quality 205 series stainless steel.
• Dishwasher safe. Not for use in the microwave. No plastic used. Made in India.
Furoshiki Eco Lunchwrap: Chic and versatile, furoshiki is the original eco lunchbag from Japan. If you can tie two knots, you can transform our Furoshiki ECOlunchwrap into a stylish lunchbag! An ancient Japanese tradition of knotting, folding and twisting, dating back to the 17th century, is newly chic as the dangers of plastic to our health and the environment have become widely known.
•Double-sided and machine washable, our cotton furoshiki (pronounced f-ROHSHkee) wrap is sewn from colorful fair trade textiles hand printed by artisans using wooden blocks and wax batik techniques perfected over generations.
• Whether you are packing food at home, picking up take-out or just need a versatile bag, our wraps make it easy to say goodbye to plastic bags, vinyl totes and other leachy food containers.
• Plastic-free, BPA-free and waste-free, our furoshiki wraps are yummy and yuck-free for people of all ages plus our planet.